Tuesday 13 December 2011

Insulation for Winter

Greetings Guests,

Wow, have I ever been slack! I really don't even have much of an excuse. I've had time to write more....but I have been selfishly using it for personal pleasure.....no not that kind!!! I've actually found some time for some workouts...we stayed at the Delta Kitchener for 5 nights and they had a terrific Fitness facility, including 3 squash courts. Now I hadn't played much squash since I left University. At Brock, I actually played a decent amount for a couple years there with some good friends and roommates, but that was a long time ago. When I moved to the US for grad school, it was all racquetball down south. So I got in on that scene, which, while appearing quite similar...is really quite different. It didn't take long to refresh my mind of the rules...but it took a little longer for my body to remember the movements. I was playing with some of the guys from the team who are actually pretty decent. I won a few here and there...but lost more often than not. It was great to just get that good sweat going though and the exhilaration of going all out for a ball. The competition is something I have been missing since leaving Vancouver and my soccer, softball, and beach volleyball teams behind.

This facility also had 2 bowling lanes, air hockey, ping pong, pool table, video games, and even a mini golf course....all in the basement of the hotel! We mostly stuck with the squash though. I had no idea that there was so much gluteus muscle work going on until after we were done and walking normally was no longer an option. I was moseying along like I had just finished a 2 week cattle drive, not to mention the tennis elbow and blisters on my hand.



I don't remember all these issues from when I was 21. Getting old is a real kick in the pants! It's also a real backhand to the metabolism. I've started to notice the beginnings of what older men battle with as a result of decreased exercise and a slower metabolism...the dreaded "spare tire". Thankfully mine is still only in its "training wheel" stages (no photographic evidence!) so I can make changes while I still have the ability to kick myself in the butt. While it seems like I do a lot of moving around throughout the day, I don't think I have been this sedentary before in my life. I've always had some sort of organized league to play in or buddies around for impromptu bike rides and runs. The consistency is just not there right now. I am committed to making it more of a priority moving forward though.

Something else that I need to make a priority is sleep....and I intend to do that now...

Goodnight All!

Jonesy

1 comment:

  1. Get yer butt out for a run in the mornings! Hmm, you'll have to find some sort of motivation to train. Almost like you need a race next summer to focus you... Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete