Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 6 - Non Event Day (Gander)

So Day 6 was our first "Non Event Day". This means that we do not move the Relay forward at all. We stayed in Gander for the day and used it have some meetings with the home office back home via conference call, to catch up on some adminstrative work, and to do some review and make changes to our operations after seeing the first 5 days in action.....oh and some were fortunate to use it as a tourist day or a golfing day....and no, I was not part of that "some". I had a very productive day though.

I made a home delivery of a uniform and chatted with a Medal-Bearer for Day 7. For the most part, we issue uniforms at the Meeting Point, but some of our Medal-Bearers are wheelchair users and it is not very easy or convenient for them to change into their uniform at the venue. When we learn of someone who requires their uniform in advance, we either will mail it to them or if timing is tight, we will arrange for a personal delivery. I have made several of these personal deliveries and it can be a very experience to meet someone at their home or work and see how appreciative they are to have a member of the Relay staff pull up in front of their house. You really get to hear some of their story during those brief interactions and then when you see them the next day, you've got that connection and can call them out by name again when you see them. It really helps to make the experience that much more personal and meaningful.

I even made a new friend when I rolled up to John's house one afternoon and saw his cute little dog sitting on the porch. I was traveling with Deena (my boss lady) and she said, "Oh there's a dog, this one's all you". I took one look at this dog and saw the sappy, lazy, disinterested look on its face and said, "Oh Deena, that dog wouldn't take the energy to stand up if there was a piece of bacon 3 feet away". So I got out and headed towards the door (Those of you who read a lot and are good at picking up "foreshadowing" probably know where this is going. Not 3 seconds after I exited my vehicle, that hound had bolted from its spot, torn down the ramp and was at full leash extension barking and going crazy. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked at Deena (still safely sitting in the car) who had a part frightened, part worried, and part hysterically laughing look on her face. John had heard this commotion and had wheeled outside at this point to attempt to calm his effective guard dog. I introduced myself from behind a railing and he said, "Well, if you trust me, you can put your hand down in front of her and she won't bite". So how do I stand there and basically say, "I don't trust you" to one of our Medal-Bearers by not befriending his loving "best friend". So I came around the corner, bent down, and let this snarling, spitting, teeth bearing dog get to within 2 inches of my favourite hand (rightie) and as soon as I did, "Maggie" became putty in my hands. She was sooo excited to see me, began licking me, nuzzling me, and just wanting to be pet and played with. She was so friendly once she approved of me and saw that John was cool with me. So, if I learned a moral of the story in this situation, I suppose it would be, "Trusting people isn't always easy (and you may lose a hand), but it can be very rewarding.

Oh, and I even found some time to hit up JJ's Car Wash to get a new spit shine and wax on my Honda Pilot. We'll be rolling out of Gander looking slick in the morning!

Jonesy

No comments:

Post a Comment