Sunday 11 September 2011

Day 17 - Sydney, NS Event Day

We spent 4 nights at the Delta hotel in Sydney which was nice because we got to unload our gear and spread out a little. It also provided us some time to get out and visit in the community and explore a little. I took advantage of our Non-Relay day to go and get my first haircut since I left Vancouver. I visited a cute little place called Alma's Family Salon and when it was all said and done, I was charged $16. After recently making a very bad mistake in Vancouver and walking into the wrong place when I decided to "change it up a bit" for a haircut and being charged $90, this was a very pleasant surprise.
I had a lot of administrative work to get done on this day, so I was pulled off from working at the various events that we had going on. We did have several though and they were as follows:

1. An EMT where we had a Scuba Diver take the Medal down for a swim under Sydney Harbour



2. A trip to Louisburg, where we fired a cannon at the Fort. Photo credits to Bryn Isaac for capturirng what we were told was a 1 in 500 chance at getting the flame from the cannon fire which only lasts for a fraction of a second and is not even visible to the naked eye when it happens.



3. Membertou First Nations visit where we had 2 Medal-Bearers carry the Medal (an Elder and a youth), followed by a  4km walk for Parents Against Drugs and then a dance.




4. A trip to Mayfair Mall to set up some display items.

(No pics available...because who wants to see a mall?)


Jonesy

No comments:

Post a Comment